Wednesday 26 December 2012

Idling along

Still laid low by Sunday's bug. Should never have eaten anything over the Christmas period. Am now living on Bulgarian yoghurt and fruit. I think my body is trying to tell me that meat is a thing of the past - the very thought of it makes me feel ill. Fancy weighing less after Christmas than before! Now there's a bonus.

It's a scorcher in Kommetjie today, with the promised westerly wind still awaited to cool us down. There is a pole on top of Slangkop mountain with a long pennant on it,which was put there many years ago (and renewed from time to time) by a local who likes to know the wind direction for hang-gliding and it's been very useful to us when there is any doubt on this subject. Today the pennant is hanging limp, a very unusual occurrence, and down here in my garden I keep pointing the hose to the sky and standing in the cool rain as gravity returns the jet of water to earth. Damp clothes certainly keep down the body heat as I potter around, pulling weeds and planting petunias. I don't know what it is that makes me garden in the heat of the day - perhaps the dryness of the soil enables me to pull weeds more easily!

Having a well and 4 separate well points has rejuvenated my garden beyond recognition - even the lawn is green, and the tough, indigenous buffalo grass is taking hold at last. The restios, which nearly all died in the drought last summer, are sprouting new shoots and looking as though they will return to their former glory, and the leucadendrons, proteas and serruria are apparently happy for the moment. If the water table can maintain itself to the end of March, we should be alright, and the first rains always arrive at Easter.

So it's a fairly restful day. The only thing that can disturb it would be the untimely arrival of baboons...

No comments:

Post a Comment