Wednesday 31 October 2018

Stroll over Slangkop

After a week of unbearably hot weather, a cold front arrived in Cape Town to scatter some showers on thirsty ground, bringing with it a sharp drop in temperature. Having packed away most winter clothes, I was left to shiver in the arctic air, something I seldom do as I don't really feel the cold and it seemed a little odd to put on a puffy jacket for our climb up to the blockhouse on Slangkop. I even made sure I had my black bag raincoat in my backpack in case one of the dark clouds lurking out to sea swung by.
As we climbed the steep path from the lighthouse up to the road above, I marvelled once more at how life has changed since I started hiking. I know that if it weren't for this convivial group of fellow hikers, I wouldn't set one foot in front of the other, and when I look back at the distance we have walked and the heights we have scaled, I know it is all thanks to them. It is truly a special group.
Back to the hike - it is good to walk through the veld at different times of the year, as this allows you to see the enormous variety of indigenous flora as the months progress, and the mountains above Kommetjie are covered in good sized pincushion trees which somehow have managed to survive many devastating fires over past years. The mimetes and leucadendrons are also very showy, while on the ground, the smaller, brightly coloured vygie and daisy species delight the eye. The views from Slangkop stretch from Table Mountain across to a glimpse of the Hottentots Holland range on the other side of False Bay, and for only a little effort, particularly if you walk up from the Catholic church car park, you can enjoy the wide open spaces that make the Peninsula one of the most beautiful parts of the world.
The weather was good to us - I only had to put on my black bag twice!

 

 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment