Monday 15 October 2018

Still felled by a bug

It's been a while since I blogged, due to health issues and the angle grinder drama, and in between a delightful break in the countryside. The health issue is the bug that is striking everyone down - upper respiratory tract infection with no apparent cold or flu, just straight to the cough and then the painful ears, accompanied by deafness and loss of balance. I generally refuse to bow down to illness, but this one kept me out of circulation for a week (not wanting to infect anyone else) and two days man down on my bed. My attentive offspring kept the home fires burning and attended to my every need, but this didn't improve the infection and so it was eventually off to the doctor, antibiotics, probiotics, cortisone, cough mixture and painkillers. I, who never even take a disprin, was replacing my meals with tablet intake (or so it felt).
Nearly two weeks later, little has improved and I have been warned that this particular strain of whatever it is keeps coming back. Which leads me to the realisation that, despite all my efforts to follow a healthy eating regime, doing long hikes in the fresh air and getting lots of sleep, there is no guarantee of good health for anyone, and it is only when struck down with infirmity that it is brought home that our health is the most important element of life. This insignificant issue, for me, made me think of all the millions of people out there who suffer from severe and debilitating illnesses, pain and disabilities on a continual basis without complaint, while I have only suffered the minor inconvenience of being unable to participate in conversation over the weekend due to blocked ears. It makes me feel rather silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment