Tuesday 13 February 2018

Booby prize?

I'm in the Company Gardens, Cape Town, on a sweltering February day, when even the pigeons are too hot to strut and peck, preferring to lie in the dust of lawns gone by, wings outspread to catch the slightest breeze. My infrequent mission to this neck of the woods was to collect a hand sanitizer that I won two weeks ago by Liking the Dept of Health's Facebook page. I found a gap in my busy schedule to collect what I assumed would be an industrial quality dispenser. Parking at the wrong end of Queen Victoria Street, I replaced my usual hike with a hot and sweaty game of hide and seek among the rabbit warren of government buildings that characterise this part of town. Every building was nicely marked with appropriate signage except the one I was looking for. It transpired that two buildings had been joined by turning the road between them into a gigantic foyer, thereby rendering Google Maps totally useless. At last I reached the help desk where I was to collect my prize. The woman handed me a small packet containing a 75ml bottle of liquid hand wash. I kid you not. I took 2 similar items from my handbag to show that I had plenty already and told her that I had driven 80km and spent about R100 on petrol to collect something worth less than R10. 'Shrug'
The security guard commiserated and said it had happened to everyone and he couldn't understand why we should have all been taken for a ride.
On the upside, I passed a mob toyi-toying outside the High Court, and a young Caucasian trying to sell trinkets to some Nigerians. Not something I see every day.
A stop in the delightfully lush Company Gardens made up for the wasted morning. The lawns were home to the homeless, taking a nap in the shade, while a large group of German tourists were being regaled with tales of the bad old days and it seemed a shame that it wasn't updated to the events of the last 24 years and especially current affairs. The same group straggled in, sweating, for sustenance at the tea room, and I fear they were less than impressed with the service, although my waitress was charming.
Everyone I encountered was friendly, chatty and charming - proof that you always get what you expect, unless it is a free gift from the Dept of Health!


The final cost of collecting the 'prize': R100 petrol, R30 parking, R120 lunch, R20 cooldrink for car guard, four hours of my time, and this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment