Tuesday 30 August 2016

Shower power

One of the hazards of staying in a B&B or similar is the unfamiliar shower operation. I haven't bathed for years and so am not at all enticed by a bath, no matter how ornately it is shaped or fitted with jacuzzi jets. The thought of lying in hot water after scrubbing off the dirt of the day fills me with faint revulsion. So the shower is the most important feature of any stay.
The shower at this lodge is impressive - fits four and has a showerhead the size of a deck quoit, which only those who have travelled on an ocean liner in the 60s will be able to visualise - and a properly sealed door (something that seldom occurs).
I stepped into the shower and turned on the hot tap until the heat had come through the pipe, then turned the cold tap to get a comfortable mix. Nothing happened, so I increased the pressure. Still nothing. Another turn. By the time I could step into the stream, I had used more than the recommended daily water usage, I reckon.
I reached for the shampoo. At least I thought it was. I couldn't read the writing (who wears glasses in the shower?),  and it was only after considerable effort at rinsing it out that I realised it was the shower gel. I reached for the other bottle and had the same difficulty in rinsing. This was conditioning shampoo, not the most suitable for my very fine hair.
Combined with this was a constant change in water temperature from ambient to freezing and back to boiling, necessitating constant leaps from under the shower while fiddling frantically with the taps.
All in all, a disastrous day for the dam levels.
Day 2 went better. I used my own shampoo and the taps behaved.

No comments:

Post a Comment