Sunday 14 August 2016

No pain, no brain

Imagine lying on the bed for 3 days! Unheard of. Turns out the pain medication is a bit strong for someone who takes one panado in 5 years! Makes my head spin as if I've had a bottle of wine (again, someone who has half a glass every 6 months!), so a good excuse for the supine state. So it seems I have a low tolerance for medication, and fortunately a high pain threshold, and only took the minimum dosage, but that still took 24 hours to wear off and get the mind back in focus. 
I've been advised not to drive while the cast is on and that is advice I will take, as my personal chauffeur is always handy, while I am not, so to speak. How we take our health for granted, and particularly the full use of all limbs and faculties! It's good to be reminded how easy life is and how much I have to be grateful for. Temporarily losing the use of a hand makes me far more thoughtful of the challenges life can bring and what tenacity and courage is required to overcome and conquer the loss of a vital organ or limb, particularly in the face of negative reactions from others.
Society needs to change. We need to understand that there is no 'perfect' or 'imperfect', just many variations on the human form and that no one is better than another in the greater scheme of the universe. 
The painkiller must have worn off! Will expand on this theme later.

No comments:

Post a Comment