Saturday 3 October 2015

Spicy food to warm the cockles of your heart

This wintry weather turns thoughts to curry - though truth to tell, it doesn't take much to turn my thoughts to curry. We love hot, spicy food in this family and although I have always made my curries from scratch, with individual spices, I spotted a gentleman at the food market at the mall yesterday and took a selection of his mixes. The vindaloo was abundant with chilli and I could see that the hot part, the seeds, were rife. So tonight we are having chicken vindaloo and I have just had a taster. When my nose starts to drip on the second mouthful, you know it's hot, but surprisingly the heat is not unbearable and the taste is mouthwateringly authentic.


Spices have numerous health benefits, just as herbs do, and unless we eat them regularly and in quantity, we are not going to have optimum health. It doesn't take long to adjust to spicy food and I can assure you that there will be no looking back when you do. The very thought of curry is enough to make the salivary glands burst into action, which indicates a pleasurable experience associated with such foods! Great for enhancing your mood, too.
Remember that drinking water is not the solution if the curry is too hot and your mouth is on fire. Milk, yoghurt and particularly avocado will put out the fire at once. Hence the traditional accompaniments!

No comments:

Post a Comment