Monday 19 October 2015

Lawn or no lawn?

Summer is definitely here. The southeaster is pumping over the Peninsula, new leaves are being stripped from green growth and even the birds are sheltering in the bushes. The terns have arrived on the island from the paleoarctic for the summer and we can enjoy their wheeling and flocking low over the waves of the Inner and Outer Kom. The spray is whipping high off the crests of some good-sized swells coming into the bay, but this wind should flatten it in a few days or even hours.
Bad hair days will abound and hayfever will peak as pollen is spread far and wide.This morning I started watering from the wellpoint and will soon know how low the water table is after a rather dry winter. It's a bit of a toss-up to know whether to water with municipal water at great expense or well water at the cost of running a pump, also at great expense. I have a fairly waterwise garden but still large bits of lawn which every year I say I am going to dig up and turn into a shrubbery. Would be great for the birds! But backbreaking work. Nothing is ever easy, particularly in the garden, and as the years advance, I find I just don't have the strength to dig for hours and yank out long runners of tough grass. Of course, if I just let the grass die it would be so much easier.
Now there's a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment