Friday 3 July 2015

Very little to report!

Here we are on the 3rd of July and I haven't thought of a single interesting thing to write about for 3 days! The weather continues to be just magnificent here in Cape Town, and I can't keep on gushing over that. The building operation between me and the sea view has been further 'enhanced' by a protruding pergola to criss cross the last little bit. Pointless to even whinge.
I have had something new - a bokmakierie has started to visit my garden! What a striking bird, with its bright yellow and gentle grey markings so cleanly defined with a black bib round its neck. The call of the bokmakierie is what will alert you to its presence, and the instant you put your head out of the door to try and spot it, it will go silent and fly off. Not as relaxed as the sunbirds, boubou and fiscal flycatchers. I fear I may never get to photograph it, but nevertheless it's good to know that it visits as the call is very pleasing and can be heard from quite a distance.
I haven't seen the little hoopoe for a while now, and I fear Mange Kitty is keeping many of the old visitors away, if she hasn't already eaten them. She has turned out to be a voracious hunter, and the gecko population is a thing of the past. A bell around the neck is of no use whatsoever, as they are very expensive and are dispensed with within an hour or two. Perhaps a belt around the body could work.
As winter approaches, birds are not the only things to fly north. Nearly everyone I know is on their way to the northern hemisphere to catch a bit of sunshine (although it seems a pointless exercise with the weather we are having, and the heatwaves in Europe looking like something to be avoided!) and I too will be getting into that silver bird soon. Another adventure in the offing!

No comments:

Post a Comment