Saturday 11 July 2015

Packed and ready to go

It's raining steadily now as the cold front settles in for a few days. The temperature in Cape Town will be around 11 degrees, just as I set off for Paris, where an average of 37 degrees is expected over the next 5 days or so. Bit of a dilemma then, isn't it? What to wear!? The lightest possible winter clothes to leave in, and a change of shoes on the way.
I started by packing a fairly large suitcase, then every day I have removed the items that I definitely won't wear, whittling it down to some basic combinations. After all, I will have access to all home comforts at my friend's house in Boussac, and I only ever wear my favourite few shirts anyway. On the off-chance of a cooler evening (not looking likely) I have thrown in some tops that are too smart for local wear (this is Kommetjie) but will be perfect for Paris.
I've decided to wear my electric pink Nike Aquas for the plane as they are light and flat and will disguise the socks I'll be wearing in Cape Town and discarding in Istanbul. The fact that they won't match my outfit is immaterial. There will be no one on the plane or at Ataturk who will give a fig, least of all me. It's just such a pity it will be too hot for my high-heeled ankle boots. They do look good with slimline jeans, but hey ho!
Toiletries have been ditched to the absolute minimum as they will be available wherever I go, so it's just a couple of items for the see through bag those security staff must be so bored with checking.
As a result of ruthless unpacking, my bag will fit in the cabin and weighs just under 8kgs, the maximum allowed. In fact, one third of the weight is attributable to my friend's clothes that she couldn't fit into her suitcase when she went over, so I am literally travelling on a shoestring!

No comments:

Post a Comment