Saturday 11 January 2020

Cool comfort

The best place to be in this sweltering heat is an airconditioned car! I took the gap at lunchtime and headed into Cape Town from the Deep South - quite an adventure at this time of year - and was amazed that there was no traffic to speak of. Obviously everyone was at the beach and I wasn't on any of the coastal roads - clever move!
An entertaining dance between a Porsche and BMW amused me along the Blue Route. The usual assortment of cars hogged the 'fast' lane (is there such a thing in Cape Town?) and it was hard to make a decision, even in my Toyota, as to which side to choose to make good headway. A BMW in front of me wasn't quite up to scratch and as I was about to veer left, a shiny black Porsche shot by, hoping to squeeze into the gap in front of the BMW. However, things didn't quite work out and the Beemer, which was also one of the production run that left the factory without indicators, changed lanes inappropriately, leaving me in the fast lane and the fast cars in the slow lane. We eventually sorted ourselves out, and I could see that the slow lane was moving faster so stuck to it. By the time we got to the top of Wynberg Hill, the Beemer had changed lanes a number of times, the Porsche had got in front, and I was on the left. By the time we reached the top robots on Paradise Road, I was two cars in front of the Porsche and the Beemer had disappeared. So a Toyota still gets there in the end. (Don't misunderstand me - I used to drive a Beemer and loved it to bits, not yet got to the Porsche! I'm sure I would fit into the footprint quite neatly!)
The biggest danger on the road was a large truck that was doing 100 in the 80 zone in quite heavy traffic and tailgating everyone. Couldn't have had a tin of beans in the back, as I have never seen a truck go uphill so fast. He was also weaving in and out and seemed to be missing an indicator as well. He eventually peeled off at the N2 turnoff, just in time for us all to avoid a broken down construction truck half way up the hill in the middle lane! Incredibly, a traffic cop had put out warning cones and parked behind it - things often do work the way they are meant to - and no hold-ups ensued.
Traffic in town was barely noticeable as the January sales have hit the Waterfront and those car parks must have been jammed. I was on my way to sample some delectable delights at Yumcious! in the Cape Quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment