Thursday 7 June 2018

A year up the hills

A year ago, my son and I walked up to Cape Point lighthouse. Along the way, I was overtaken by every other tourist who had travelled thousands of kilometres to visit this natural wonder, the Cape of Good Hope, with two lighthouses on the promontory to its left. The first lighthouse was discovered to be useless because it was built on the highest point and nobody had taken into account the fact that it was covered in mist/cloud very often and couldn't be seen by passing ships. A new lighthouse was built further down and there have been no complaints since.
The reason I was overtaken is that I had to stop every 30 steps to breathe. All my life I have been unable to walk up hills or steps without becoming breathless, and nobody ever suggested to me that the cause might be my aversion to exercise. Some of the girls passing by were in high heels and one appeared to be wearing a cocktail dress, but maybe she always dressed like that. I decided there and then that the situation was pathetic and something drastic needed to be done. I joined a hiking group and the rest is history, as they say. Well, something between history and hysterical.
My very first hike took me up to Eagle's Nest, a not very high rocky hillock on the way over Constantia Nek. I toiled up and down and couldn't walk for four days afterwards. The next hike, three days later, was better and helped loosen the tight muscles. Now, with perhaps 60 hikes under my boots, I barely get a raised heartbeat and am looking to advance to more strenuous hiking some time in the future. The lesson here is that we are so much more capable than we allow ourselves to believe. I almost left it too late to discover a whole new life, meeting wonderful people who love the outdoors and the beauty that is so freely available, with the added benefit of losing weight, getting fit and busting the stresses of daily life! Thank you to our Intrepid Leaders, who take us to places undreamed of!
Tomorrow I will  be climbing up to Eagle's Nest again, and will be able to measure my success!







No comments:

Post a Comment