Friday 18 May 2018

Through the pine forest to a magic swing

Flat walks sometimes turn out to be longer than uphill, and today we walked over 6km through the Tokai forest from Spaanschemat River Road to the M3. High cloud kept us cool until we reached the shelter of the tall pines and it was a very pleasant amble except for having to move aside constantly for cyclists along the path. The few horses that passed on the sand track were a joy to behold - magnificently muscled, shiny coats and obviously adored by their owners.
The stream that runs through the forest (I think it becomes the Diep River) has dried up since last I walked there about 9 months ago, but there was evidence further down that it is in fact running, but underground in places, and the water we did see looked clear and healthy. Workmen were clearing the excess rushes and vegetation near the M3, and it was good to see maintenance in progress.
We had our coffee break on Lime Hill with the big pine tree, overlooking the traffic on the highway, but in the other direction was a marvellous view of the mountains from Muizenberg to Devil's Peak, certainly a delight to the eye. We accessed the hill via a crenelated weir, which brought out the inner child as I jumped across, and paved the way for more playing later on the walk, when we came across the best rope swing I have ever seen. It hung from a high branch in a pine tree, with a swinging arc of about 30 feet. After some fellow hikers had called back their youth, I took the plunge and jumped on.
What a wonderful feeling to swish through the air, hair blowing back with abandon! In my enthusiasm, I pictured myself as a fairy on the swing and let go with one hand, waving to the crowd as I swung to and fro - one can but dream and it was tremendous fun, but I forgot that momentum required fierce clinging with the other hand and tonight my shoulder is telling me I wasn't a fairy! Good times!





No comments:

Post a Comment