Saturday 19 May 2018

A walk for Dad

Today is Dad's birthday and a year since he left us, so I went to the place where he and Mom spent so many happy hours - Kirstenbosch. Mom always moaned that he never took her there often enough and so we made a special effort to go whenever possible. They couldn't manage the walks anymore, but occasionally took a ride on the electric cart to see the proteas right at the top of the gardens and of course enjoy the birdlife and views at their leisure. Over the years since they were children, there were family outings to Kirstenbosch and so they saw many trees growing bigger and bigger over some 80 years and more, as well as the expansion of the gardens from its small beginnings.
The family bench has had its plaque removed for inclusion of their names and I'm looking forward to seeing them having a permanent place in these beautiful surroundings. I know they are too.

A brisk walk up past the Bird bath took me through the winding route of the cycad garden, with its interesting sculptures of dinosaurs peeking out from behind these ancient plants. The pterodactyl is my favourite and I scanned the gaps between the huge trees, expecting to hear a screech and flapping of unfeathered wings, but it was not to be.
Then it was down to the Boomslang for the required wobbly walk. I seem to be losing my fear of heights (all that hiking) and for the first time I managed to walk all over the gardens without a puff or a pant. A marvellous achievement and I'm sure Mom and Dad are proud!



No comments:

Post a Comment