Wednesday 25 October 2017

Browsing Kalk Bay



Enjoying the cool weather here in Cape Town. The westerly wind means there is a cool drift off the sea, but the sun is still hot, so ideal temperatures for whatever activity is required. I took a trip to Kalk Bay to browse the antiquities and collectables with my son. I would never do this on a weekend as I am really not a crowd person, but today was perfect and even a parking space appeared in a convenient situation.
The first shop we visited was the one with the old books and I must say the interior smell was redolent of musty old houses that had been home to many animals. We didn't linger.
The shop with tea sets, old jewellery and clothing, glassware and ornaments was more interesting, and it was a pleasant way to spend an hour, but a serious collector of anything in this line would have to know an awful lot and have a whole day free to give the place a thorough going-over. I am at the stage of my life where I am trying to divest myself of 'stuff' and the only thing I could weaken for would be a particularly beautiful bowl that I could actually use, but as for the rest, it was like browsing my mother's cupboards, and in some instances, my own! Over the road at the old post office, I was astounded to see that similar things to what I had taken to the dump last week were actually for sale - decorative tins, old and battered kitchen utensils and other bric-a-brac I would never have imagined anyone being cheeky enough to try and sell. It seems as though I am living in a treasure trove and so the clearing out has been halted for the moment. We are rather going to rent a table at a flea market - I reckon we have enough stuff to retire on!
Our afternoon was rounded off with a visit to The Lucky Fish in the harbour where the seafood is fresh and delicious and the blue-and-white painted tables and benches overlooking the harbour add a Mediterranean feel to the experience. And of course a stroll along the harbour wall is obligatory. Seals spread themselves in the sun, posing for photographs by eager tourists, but I steered well clear of the razor-sharp teeth!
It's easy to spend a whole day browsing through the nooks and crannies, side streets and seashore of Kalk Bay and is always well worth a visit.  There is something for every taste, and the variety of excellent eateries, from extravagant to affordable, ensures that no one need go home hungry. Just stay away on summer weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment