Friday 10 August 2012

A breath of fresh air

Wow! The wind is blowing me off my feet as I make my way along the path towards the lighthouse. The photos don't show the wind so you'll just have to believe me when I say it was blowing my hair back! Just as the photos don't show the power of the waves or how big they really are. Amidst this mayhem, a lone oystercatcher pecks, unconcerned, at bits and pieces between the tumbled mass of kelp stems along the high tide mark. It's higher than usual - the recent full moon brought with it some monstrous seas that tore the kelp from its anchorage and dumped it on the rocks, continuing the cycle of renewal in the tidal zone. The sea lice feed on the rotting kelp and the ibises feed on the sea lice; the natural thinning of the kelp beds allows sunlight to filter down to promote regrowth of the algae that have been eaten by the shellfish, and so it goes on.

Up on top, no man ventures to sea today. It's a time to be an observer, not a participant. Wrap up warmly and go out into the wind, breathe in the ozone, stand on top of a rock close to the sea and just watch. Think of nothing. It will restore your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment