Sunday 10 July 2011

Life's too short to stuff a sardine

I'm busy sorting out my recipe books. Some I have never tried and some I have never even opened.  Before putting them on the charity pile, I had a recce for old times' sake and opened one that must be 30 years old - "Hot and Cold Hors d"Oevre" or as they are better known, horse divorce.
  Did you know that you could be served "Fried Eggs on Toast with Wine Sauce" at a dinner party?  Or even "Egg and Potato Puree - serve cold"?  Perhaps my tastes are not very sophisticated, but I'm afraid that if I was served that as a starter, there would be a good chance that I would be too nervous to stay for mains.
   Of course, if I was given "Avocado with Crab" then I would know I was at the right kind of dinner party and it would probably be safe to stay until the coffee.  Perhaps that is where the saying "stay the course" originates, although I always thought it had to do with steeplechasing for some reason.
  "Brain and Lettuce" seems like a good reason to excuse yourself with a stomach bug, guaranteed to clear a room.  I put that on a par with mopani worms.
  "Eel Pate" sounds a little too like smooth snake.  Ssshudder!
  "Stuffed Sardines":  Take 6 fresh sardines, de-head, de-bone, de-tail, clean and scrape.  Then stuff.  Stuff what? How big is a sardine.  In today's hectic lifestyle, when few people have time to stuff a mushroom, who would stuff a sardine?
  So it's onto the charity pile.  Although maybe I'll just try the "Chicken in Aspic" before tossing it.  I do have a free afternoon next week, and it may be my only chance of ever eating an hors d'oevre.

No comments:

Post a Comment