Sunday 31 July 2011

A Clovelly Childhood #1

I went walking in the Silvermine River valley with my two sisters last week.  It was the first time we had been back there in 43 years.  It seems like yesterday.

We used to go there as teenagers when it was the Sunbird Nature Reserve.  Our 'crowd' of kids from Clovelly would walk across the valley from the Fish Hoek side along the track which ran behind Clovelly Golf Club to Noordhoek and spend the day at Sunbird.  There was a swimming pool fed by the Silvermine River and horses to ride if you were brave enough, but I think the main attraction, for the girls anyway, was the company of the handsome young rangers who looked after the reserve.  They lived in old-fashioned gypsy caravans amongst huge old gum trees.  It was their private paradise and we were privileged to join them.

As I write this, the hit song of that long ago summer, He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother, is on the radio.
It brings back those memories so vividly that I can feel the sun on our backs as we walk down that track, hear the crunch of the gravel beneath our feet, smell the warmth of the horses grazing in the field, see the cold clear water of the pristine Silvermine River gushing down the valley in eddying pools and tinkling falls.

Today the caravans are gone, the trees burned down by wildfires, the horses are grazing in the Elysian fields  and the swimming pool has been reclaimed by the river.  The valley is part of Table Mountain National Park and the public may freely roam across the grassy meadows along the riverbanks.

But I think I preferred it when it was 'ours'.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pam, Alison sent me the link. I re-discovered a gypsey caravan from Sunbird and one of the 'guys' at Sunbird riding school in Noordhoek when the girls and I started riding there. They were all firemen! cannot remember his name now! was the shorter stocky guy with blue eyes!The horses were his Mother's.
    I am not sure if the caravan is still there.
    When the reserve which they ran like a Red Indian settlement closed down they moved to Sunbird in Noordhoek. Do you remember them in the FH Mardi Gras in their full Red Indian regalia on horseback?

    ReplyDelete