Monday 26 November 2018

People can be strange

When I left the mall building today, my exit was obstructed by a large vehicle parked across the bottom of the ramp. A gentleman in the driver's seat paid scant attention as I pulled up my trolley to assess the situation - was there enough room to squeeze the trolley between the wall and the car, and should I go left or right? Before I could decide, a woman laden with parcels bustled down the ramp behind me and pushed past. They then had a conversation about me, as if I were not there.
She: There's an irate lady standing here. We'd better hurry and get out of her way. (Irate? How did she know I was irate? They would have known if I was irate! I was actually patiently waiting now that I knew they would be moving off, idly picking my teeth of a bothersome piece of lettuce from a light lunch.)
He: She could just go around, you know. (I was assessing whether their car would be scratched if I did.)
She: Yes, the other lady did. (So they had been there a while!)
And off they drove, secure in the knowledge that they had every right to park like a taxi, obstruct free access for people entering and exiting the building, and the right to criticise, judge and be downright rude to those they inconvenienced.
How happy I am that they drove off, that I didn't bother to enter into any light banter, and most importantly, that I don't count them among my acquaintances or friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment