Thursday 4 January 2018

A Fitbit to get a bit fit

The festive season is drawing to a close and, as anticipated, it was spent mainly working at home, with little inclination for social interaction. Memories of Christmases past, particularly of my youth, which were such joyous, immense family gatherings at home in Clovelly, under the auspices of Mother and Father's famous hospitality, were too hard to bear and a retreat from the world was the perfect solution. Despite threatening to make lasagne for Christmas Eve dinner, I still cooked a traditional spread (I suppose cooking is very therapeutic) and we tucked in with relish, before having an early night.
Although we removed our fireplace many years ago, Father Christmas still managed to squeeze in and leave presents under the tree, and he must have known I am on a fitness drive, as I got a Fitbit! I can now track my resting heart rate, exertion heart rate, calories burned, calories ingested, liquid imbibed, flights of stairs climbed and number of steps walked each day, etc. It also gives a complete graph of my sleeping pattern at night, which is fascinating, as I seem to be awake more often than I realised.
The most interesting aspect is how it records my hikes. When I went to the Cape Point lighthouses and Diaz Beach, it showed that I had walked 5.4km, burned 1073 calories and climbed a total of 540 metres in elevation. Average heart rate 104bpm. But there is more to come! When I synch the information to my laptop, Google Maps pops up and shows my entire route! I will have to remember to turn it off as soon as each hike is over, as it also showed where I had lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment