Friday 3 November 2017

Not quite up Skeleton Gorge

Tuesday was one of the hottest days in a long, long time. Thunderclouds threatened and purply grey sheets covered the skies as we set off for Kirstenbosch. My instinct was to park half way up the mountain in the car park next to the nursery, but unfortunately our starting point was way down at the main entrance, and so the sweltering slog began much earlier than hoped for. The humidity was probably the worst weather factor, and in no time I was mopping my brow with a handy hand towel brought along for such occasions. I fear I do not look my best in the heat, but as a fellow hiker pointed out, we were not there to look glamorous, and so I took solace in those words.
My non-hiking strolls at Kirstenbosch take me on a not-too-strenuous zig-zag, but we strode straight up the hill past ancient wild almonds planted by Jan van Riebeeck (or rather his lackeys) way back in about 1652+. In no time, we had reached the Boomslang treetop canopy walk, and lurched our wobbly way across - I'm sure it swayed more than the first time I ventured over when it opened a few years ago - and we continued up through leafy forest and gorgeous gardens towards the contour path that traverses the slopes of the back of Table Mountain above Newlands.


I stopped many times to enjoy the view (actually to catch my breath) and it was a great relief to find that everyone else was also taking strain in the heat and I wasn't the total wimp of the group.
Rumbles of thunder preceded a few heavy drops of rain, but they were so few that they were easily dodged and our hike was not washed out. We came to the sign indicating Skeleton Gorge and were all massively grateful that our Intrepid Leader had no intention of going any higher up the mountain. We already could see far into the hinterland and didn't need an expanded view.
After the usual diversions onto paths that hadn't been used in 20 years, we eventually persuaded him to take any path, any path, that would lead down to the upper restaurant and lunch.
Lunch was, needless to say, excellent, and best of all, accompanied by the breeze of a giant fan that blew moisture into the air!
Another great walk under the boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment