Saturday 7 July 2012

Winter ramblings

There's something about winter that brings out my enthusiasm for activity. The call of the sea is very strong and I feel compelled to go down to the rocks to watch the waves crashing ashore, filling the air with invigorating ozone. The sight of so much natural power on display never fails to lift my mood, even when Nadal crashed out of Wimbledon. That's another of winter's highlights. I love watching tennis, but it lost its lustre with his early departure and I haven't needed to spend 5 hours a day sitting on the edge of my seat. It's given me time to cook supper, do a painting or two and even work on my paying job, proofreading.

But what I really feel like doing in winter is jigsaw puzzles. There's something very satisfying about scratching around in a box of little pieces of cardboard, trying to fit them together to form a beautiful picture. Jigsaws have always been my favourite form of relaxation. I did my first when I was 2 years old - 8 pieces! The trouble with jigsaws is that once I have started, I can sit up all night working on them. I can work on it for 2 days and am happy to let the housework slide (never need an excuse for that!). Anything less than 1 000 pieces is not very interesting to me and I never start the inside until all four sides are intact. And woe betide anyone who dares to put in a piece when I'm not looking! My family do their best to find jigsaws that are 60% shadows in a garden or some such eye-watering challenge and then I have to go by the shape rather than the colours, an entertainment in a league of its own.

I hear a box rattling in the cupboard, calling me to open it! Speak to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment