Saturday 23 June 2012

A souvenir from Paris

I brought back a brass ring from Paris. I got it from a scam artist who was so skilful that I gave her the money. I'm not at all embarrassed about being suckered; I thought she deserved a reward for all the effort she put in.

She had a young boy with her and as we approached them, she swooped down to pick up this large 'gold' ring, making a big show of trying it on until she was sure she had our attention and then giving it to us to look at. We gave it back and told her to go and sell it. We walked on but she rushed after us and pressed it into my hand, saying "No jewel, no good for me. Good luck for you." So I took it and walked on. Then she followed us, gabbling about Coca-Cola and 5 euros, pointing at the boy. She went on and on so eventually I gave her 5 euros to get rid of her. It obviously works for her, because she was by no means thin, but I felt sorry for her, having to stoop so low as to make up this elaborate act for a few coins. I would have preferred it if she had just asked for money for food.

I met her husband and elder son a few days later (there was a family resemblance). In separate incidents, they both swooped on a 'gold' ring at my feet, but I was able to tell them that I'd already got one from another member of their family and that they were not nearly as skilful as her. I pointed out that I could see how they dropped the ring first and that they should practice a little bit more. They melted away with sullen faces. Dare I say they were not natives of France?

No comments:

Post a Comment