Friday 4 April 2014

Cats, claws and climbing

Mango the Kitty has settled in well. She has firmly established her sleeping spot snuggled up with HWCFA, which has put Monty's nose completely out of joint and he won't jump onto the bed if Mango is there. As soon as Mango has been removed to K's room for the night, then Monty is back in pride of place and all is well in his universe again.
Mango loves to play with bits of string and cords, and her razor-sharp teeth have already bitten right through my Skull Candy earphones, which I can't say I'm all that thrilled about. She also displays great interest in electrical appliance cords and we will have to make sure they are all unplugged otherwise it's only a matter of time before she has a shocking experience.

We've blocked up all the holes where she could get lost inside the workings of a timber-frame home - I have visions of us tearing down drywalling trying to locate the source of the mewing! She is a great climber, and the future of my curtains seems uncertain - perhaps one of those commercial scratching posts will keep her occupied, although it might just be a great sense of adventure that makes her a climber. I'm unable to sit or stand for long without her running up my legs, and if I am not wearing long pants it can be a pretty painful experience. Her favourite place is on my shoulder and the leg ladder works for her. Normal people would have a parrot on their shoulders, but we must be a different kind of pirate!
Although I feel as though I have been totally lacerated after Mango has run up my leg, it is nothing compared to what my niece has experienced. She got caught in the middle of a midnight cat fight and the wounds inflicted on her feet and legs by savage bites and scratching look as though they have been inflicted by a Bengal tiger, not a domestic animal. Each puncture mark is surrounding by dark bruising and a scratch stretching from her toes across the bottom of her foot and up the back of the heel is so deep it looks like a knife slash. She even called the paramedics such was the shock of the attack.

So for the moment, Mango will be forgiven for being a climbing cat, but it won't be bare legs for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment